Kybella is the first safe and effective minimally invasive treatment that specifically targets the submental fat that causes the appearance of a double chin.
As with most products and services that we provide at Advanced Cosmetic Surgery, I personally have had this done to test the efficacy and side effects for myself. Our philosophy is that if it doesn’t work on us first, then we don’t carry that product or perform that service. You can rest assured that all of our products and services definitely work because we have tried them first and liked them. I found KYBELLA to be easily done and tolerated with moderate early swelling for about 10 days and mild numbness for 3-4 weeks. It definitely reduces the fat. For most patients, they will require at least two treatments and sometimes more. If you have submental fullness (double chin), come see us and we have several options to help you.
What is KYBELLA?
KYBELLA is the only FDA-approved injectable treatment used in adults to improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat below the chin, also called submental fat, or “double chin.”
How does KYBELLA work?
The active ingredient in KYBELLA is deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring molecule in the body that helps to breakdown and reabsorb fat that leads to destruction of fat cells. Those cells cannot store or accumulate fat again.
Is KYBELLA right for me?
It is best to seek a consultation with a KYBELLA trained physician and together you can decide if it is a good choice. If you have submental fullness (double chin), ask your doctor about KYBELLA. If you have an infection under the chin, you should defer treatment until the infection is gone.
Be sure to tell your physician about all of your medical conditions and all medications (including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements), especially if you:
- Have had/plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin,
- Have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin
- Have a history of a specific condition in the neck area,
- Have trouble swallowing,
- Have bleeding problems or are taking any blood thinning medications,
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if KYBELLA will harm your unborn baby),
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if KYBELLA passes into your breast milk; talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby if you receive KYBELLA).
How many people have been treated with KYBELLA?
KYBELLA has been in a global clinical development program involving over 20 clinical studies and over 2,600 patients worldwide, of which over 1,600 have been treated with KYBELLA.
Will I experience any side effects?
The most common side effects are swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness and areas of hardness around the treatment area. KYBELLA can cause trouble swallowing and nerve injury in the jaw that can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness. These are not all of the possible side effects of KYBELLA. Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects.
How many treatments will I need?
You and your doctor will customize your KYBELLA treatment regimen, including the number of treatments based on your chin profile goals. Obviously, a greater result requires more treatments. Many patients experience visible results in 2 to 4 treatment sessions. For severe cases, up to 6 treatment sessions may be given at least one month apart.
- In clinical studies, results for KYBELLA-treated patients who had a ≥1-grade composite improvement were 8% (1 treatment), 28% (2 treatments), 43% (3 treatments), 55% (4 treatments), 66% (5 treatments) and 72% (6 treatments)
- In clinical studies, results for KYBELLA-treated patients who had a ≥2-grade composite improvement were 0% (1 treatment), .2% (2 treatments), .8% (3 treatments), 3.5% (4 treatments), 3.9% (5 treatments) and 15% (6 treatments) 59% of subjects in the clinical trials received all 6 treatments
How long will the results last?
KYBELLA causes the destruction of fat cells and once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat. Once the goal is obtained, retreatment with KYBELLA is not expected.